Orkin’s annual list, the Top 50 Bed Bugs Cities of 2014, has been released, and the midwest is well represented in the top 10. The number one spot was awarded to Chicago--for the third year in a row--followed by Detroit and Columbus, Ohio. Rankings are determined based on data showing the cities with the most bed bug treatments in the past year.
According to Joe Van Hoose of Orkin, the U.S. is in the midst of a bed bug resurgence. The bed bug business increased 18 percent last year alone with nearly half of cities showing a rise in bed bug treatments. In 2013, $446 million was spent to get rid of the pests compared to $70 million in 2004.
Here are the top 10 cities
- Columbus, Ohio
- Los Angeles
- Cleveland – Akron – Canton, Ohio
- Dallas – Ft. Worth
- Richmond – Petersburg, Va.
- Dayton, Ohio
Bed bugs are active year-round and can be found in any region of the country. Okrin entomologist and technical services director Ron Harrison, PhD, said in a statement that bed bugs are not limited to any level of cleanliness and can exist virtually anywhere, even in residential healthcare facilties. Infestations often start with people bringing the insects in on their clothes.
Once an infestation has been identified on a property it can be difficult to eliminate without professional help.
Here are a few prevention tips via Orkin:
- Inspect for signs of bed bugs regularly. Check locations where bed bugs hide during the day, including in furniture, mattress seams and bed sheets, as well as behind baseboards, electrical outlets and picture frames;
- Decrease clutter to make bed bug inspections and detection much easier;
- Inspect and quarantine all secondhand furniture; and
- Dry potentially infested bed linens and curtains and on the hottest temperature allowed for the fabric.