Washington, D.C. — The National Association of Psychiatric Health Systems (NAPHS) has presented its 2011 NAPHS Grassroots Leadership Award to Steven S. Sharfstein, MD, president and CEO, Sheppard Pratt Health System, Baltimore, Md.
The award recognizes an individual whose actions demonstrate strong commitment to improving the lives of individuals who face mental and substance use disorders. The award was presented at the NAPHS Annual Meeting in Washington, D.C.
In announcing the award, NAPHS President/CEO Mark Covall noted that successful advocates are active in their communities and work to develop relationships with all key stakeholders.
“These relationships are not built overnight, but take time and effort to foster. Change happens because of the action of individuals, and we are proud of Dr. Sharfstein’s ongoing contributions.”
Dr. Sharfstein was recognized for taking direct, personal action to educate members of Congress about issues—such as mental health and substance use parity and emergency psychiatric care—that have a direct impact on whether people have access, coverage, and fair funding for quality mental health services.
NAPHS advocates for behavioral health and represents provider systems that are committed to the delivery of responsive, accountable, and clinically effective prevention, treatment, and care for children, adolescents, adults, and older adults with mental and substance use disorders.
Its members are behavioral healthcare provider organizations that own or manage more than 700 specialty psychiatric hospitals, general hospital psychiatric and addiction treatment units and behavioral healthcare divisions, residential treatment facilities, youth services organizations, and extensive outpatient networks.
- NAPHS announces 2011 election results
- NAPHS appoints addiction treatment committee
- NAPHS releases two CD trainings for psychiatric core measure compliance
- NAPHS releases comprehensive behavioral health referral resource for 2011
- NAPHS applauds introduction of Medicare Mental Health Inpatient Equity Act
- NAPHS offers trainings for inpatient psychiatric hospital core measures
- NAPHS names Director of Quality and Regulatory Affairs
- NAPHS publishes membership directory to improve access to services
- New NAPHS annual survey tracks behavioral treatment trends