The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) released a report this week entitled Behavioral Health, United States, 2012 -- the latest in a series of publications (formerly known as Mental Health, United States) issued biennially by SAMHSA since 1980. This report features mental health and substance abuse statistics at the national and state levels from 40 different data sources. The report includes three key chapters:
- Behavioral Health Disorders across the Life Span
- Mental Health and Substance Use Disorders: Impairment in Functioning
- Mental Health and Substance Use Disorders: Treatment Landscape
The volume also includes 172 tables, which are organized into four sections:
- Behavioral Health of the Population: the mental health status of the U.S. population and prevalence of mental illness;
- Behavioral Health Service Utilization: providers and settings for behavioral health services, types of behavioral health services provided, and rates of utilization;
- Behavioral Health Treatment Capacity: number of facilities providing mental health and substance abuse services, numbers of qualified specialty mental health and substance abuse providers, and,
- Payer and Payment Mechanisms: expenditures and sources of funding for behavioral health services.
The report provides unique, comprehensive information regarding the delivery of behavioral health services in the U.S. It is the only available comprehensive source of national level statistical information on trends in both private and public sector behavioral health services, costs, and clients. Drawing on diverse data sources, this publication also includes state level data and information on the behavioral health needs and services utilization of specific populations such as children, military personnel, nursing home residents, and incarcerated individuals.
Get the latest information on Business Strategy and other valuable topics at this three-day retreat bringing together treatment center owners and executives and key members of the financial community for prime networking opportunities and in-depth discussions for those looking to grow, invest and transform their business.