Pekin, Ill. — The International Association of Eating Disorder Professionals (iaedp) launches its first "Winter Gala Celebration" Dec. 3 at each of its 14 chapters, a groundbreaking nationwide initiative to raise scholarship money, promote awareness and inspire action regarding eating disorders.
"We are uniting to do something never done before," said Bonnie Harken, managing director at the iaedp Foundation. "Eating disorders are one major challenge this nation faces, and we want to recognize the work by our chapters and the difference each makes in their communities."
Each chapter's event will uniquely address the common goal--to raise awareness about the cost of eating disorders, a growing mental health concern with some of the highest mortality rates among all mental illnesses.
"All proceeds raised will fund scholarships for those in need of eating disorder treatment," said Alice Gibson, national event planner and chapter director at the iaedp Foundation. "The public has misconceptions about how many people suffer with this life and death issue because they can't afford the help they deserve."
Participating chapters and activities:
- Miami - wine tasting
- Tampa - screening of "America the Beautiful - the Thin Commandments," with the film's producer, Darryl Roberts
- South Florida - brunch with live entertainment and silent auction
- New York - cocktail reception with musical entertainment from Carnegie Hall
- San Diego - social and silent auction
- Santa Barbara - wine tasting with live music
- Puget Sound, Washington - dinner and silent auction
- Phoenix - family fun, music, dance performances, silent auction and boutique sale
- Tucson - social with music and dance performances
- Dallas - dinner with guest speakers
- Charlotte - black tie dinner and dancing
- Orange County, California - casino play and music
For more information and to purchase tickets, visit the "Chapters" page at www.iaedp.com.