When following up with your guests after cultivation or fundraising events, be sure to avoid these common mistakes!
- Not setting aside specific time in your calendar to do follow-up after every event.
- Worrying that you have let too much time lapse since the event, rather than just picking up the phone and getting started.
- Having too many different people making the Follow-Up Calls, rather than just one or two staff members or volunteers who will stick with it over time, noting and recording trends and connections.
- Having the Follow-Up Call feel like a stiff monologue, rather than a warm, conversational dialog with the guest.
- Not recording notes from every call in your database and failing to set a "next-action" date after each call in your team member's calendar to-do list.
- Forgetting that the Follow-Up Call is the next step in developing a long-term relationship with a donor, rather than merely a to-do to check off your list!