The National Association of Addiction Treatment Providers (NAATP) Board Chair Cathy Palm is pleased to announce that Karen Carpenter-Palumbo, MSW, has been named the new President and CEO of NAATP. She will begin her new position on April 4, 2011.
Most recently, Carpenter-Palumbo served as Commissioner of the State of New York Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services from 2007 through 2010. She has worked extensively in the mental health field, in other health-related organizations, and in the insurance industry. She also has been a strong advocate for the private and public sectors of the addiction treatment field.
Carpenter-Palumbo’s appointment received rave reviews from addiction treatment leaders. Dr. Tom McClellan, Director of the University of Pennsylvania Center for Substance Abuse Solutions, said, “You could not have selected a better leader,” while Paul Samuels, who heads the Legal Action Center noted that “NAATP has made a terrific choice,” and recognized Carpenter-Palumbo as “one of the nation’s leading experts on addiction treatment policy.”
Carpenter-Palumbo holds a Master of Social Work (MSW) degree and has been recognized with numerous honors for her work in the addiction treatment field: a 2010 SAMHSA Science and Service Award, the 2010 Spirit Award from the International Nurses Society on Addictions, and the 2009 Ramstad-Kennedy Award for Outstanding Leadership.
“Today as I embark on the next chapter in my career, I hope to continue my mission, which is also the mission of NAATP ... to prevent the disease of addiction, to increase access to the highest quality of care for the treatment of addiction, and to improve recovery outcomes for addictions so that people and families in this nation and world can be given an opportunity to live the best life possible.”
Interim President Dennis Gilhousen will continue on with NAATP through a brief transition period. For the immediate future, the NAATP office will remain in Lancaster, Pa., with the same staff, address and phone numbers.
More Online Exclusives
- VA and SAMHSA hear counties on suicide prevention strategy, by Dennis Grantham, Editor-in-Chief
- Are CMHCs ready to embrace TMS therapy? by Nick Zubko, Associate Editor
- CRC boosts Vivitrol for addiction treatment, by Dennis Grantham, Editor-in-Chief
- The Affordable Care Act: If not this, then what? by Ron Manderscheid, PhD
- "Getting personal" with Pamela Hyde, by Lori Ashcraft, PhD and William Anthony, PhD
- Helping consumers add years to their lives, by Jack Carney, DSW
- Arizona's mental health system did not fail, says official, by Dennis Grantham, Editor-in-Chief
- Setting sail toward recovery, worldwide, by Mark G. Mishek, CEO Hazelden
- Viibryd: What Clinical Data can't say—at least not yet, by Dennis Grantham, Editor-in-Chief